Goa Homebrew Website Club #2
With the help of the usual WordPress Goa group (Siddharth, Abhishek and me), we hosted the second Homebrew Website Club. Since we were expecting more people this time we needed a bigger venue, and the good folks at Diet Code were kind enough to provide one.
After some quick introductions we dove into to some deep topics:
- Identity and anonymity on the Internet, especially in the current political climate.
- Reliable hosting options that wont get affected by government blocking or trade sanctions.
- Distributed web protocols like IPFS and Dat.
- Data trails linked to our various online identities.
- Customization limitations on Wix
In the peer-to-peer time I demoed WordPress to a few people who were contemplating using it. Their main concern was if they’d be able to find the right theme for their requirments and if it’ll be customizable enough to make their site look the way they want. I spent some time helping setup a travel blog. I also triaged issues for my WordPress theme—Zuari.